The Graduate Education Indigenous Scholarships support Native American, Alaskan Native, Native Hawaiian, Indigenous Australian and Torres Strait Islander indivi...
Aurora Indigenous Scholars Study Tour Symposium
In response to COVID-19, the 2020 Study Tour went online to become Aurora’s first virtual Study Tour Symposium.
In November 2021, we are planning to host a 3 day Study Tour Symposium, face to face in Sydney. The Symposium will cover meetings with universities we normally visit on the Study Tour (Berkeley, Colombia and Stanford in the US and Cambridge, London School of Economics, University of London and Oxford in the UK), including the opportunity to arrange academic meetings at these institutions in your specific area of study. Participating in Sydney will grow your network by introducing you to amazing Charlie Perkins and Roberta Sykes alumni and introduce you to the current cohort of Indigenous scholars in the US and UK who will share their study experiences and pathways. We will cover scholarship opportunities available in Australia to study overseas and host panels to discuss cultural safety, self- determination and systemic change. Ultimately, with our Indigenous mentors on hand every step of the way, the Symposium will help you make better informed decision on pathways for postgraduate opportunities overseas.
Ten years on, the Aurora Study Tour has:
- provided opportunities for over 150 talented Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people to gain insights into the experience of undertaking postgraduate study at premier overseas institutions;
- seen 62 participants go on to apply to study at the universities visited, with 94% being accepted.
Dates for the Sydney Study Tour Symposium are 17, 18 and 19 November, in person, in Sydney. Successful applicants will have their travel, accommodation and meals covered to participate at the Symposium. When the Study Tour is able to next visit the UK and US, successful applicants for the 2021 Sydney Study Tour Symposium will be invited to participate.
How to apply
Internally managed. Fill our online form at https://indigenouspathways.org.au/scholarships/aurora-indigenous-scholars-study-tour-symposium/
To be eligible to apply, applicants must:
- Identify as Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander;
- Have graduated from your first degree, or have completed at least two years of your undergraduate degree;
- Have a distinction average or an Honours degree;
- Have a strong interest in postgraduate study overseas;
- Be willing to act as an ambassador of the program while overseas.
How to Apply
Apply online here.
You will need to attach the following documents to your application:
- Personal Statement/Cover letter, explaining your background, career aspirations and reasons for wanting to go on the Study Tour;
- A Curriculum Vitae;
- An official Academic Transcript of all university results (including mid-year results, if available);
- Confirmation of Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander descent through a signed statement (including common seal) from a Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander Heritage Association, Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander Corporation or Land Council;
- A high-resolution headshot;
- Copy of your passport bio-data page;
- Three written references (two of which should be academic references).
For more information please refer to the Reference Criteria document in the Resource tab.